App For Note Taking – Notability App Version 4 Review
We did a previous app for note taking review of Notability App and at that point it was version 1. It is now at version 4 and as the folks at Ginger Labs say, “it is the Kitchen Sink release”. I have updated my app and here is a quick review of the new features. Is it still a great app for note taking on the iPad?
Here Is What I Like
One of the things I really like about Notability App is the web clip option. Having an app for note taking that just takes notes is not that useful. This is a great tool because you can take snap shots of websites and insert them into the note. We have drafted a fair number of blog posts using this app for note taking when we are remote working. This feature is still in the app and works flawlessly.
A new feature is handwriting, this is a great addition to the app for note taking. I am using it now for quick notes and mock-ups of ideas. You can also have handwriting blocks so like images they can float within typed text. I could find many uses for this feature alone, well worth the price of admission.
Audio recording, this is another great feature that I highlighted in our last review of notability app. You can record meetings as you are taking notes, or your thoughts as you are writing. I could also see it as a great starter for those people who want to start a podcast. Simply type out your podcast notes and then hit record and read out the note and you now have a recording of your first podcast.
Here Is What I Don’t Like
Business User: 4/5 – If it supported more sync services I think this would be a home run app for note taking for the business user.
Personal/Student: 5/5 – Everything you need for note taking in one app. If you pair up your iPad with a keyboard, you can use this as a powerful document creation and management tool on the iPad.
Features at a Glance
- Handwriting with Zoom View
- PDF Import
- Handwriting Blocks
- Larger workspace
- Take pictures within the app with iPad 2 camera support
- Disable browser access when Safari is restricted
- Faster outlining
- Place the cursor anywhere
- Drag and drop notes into subjects
- Subjects can be password protected
- Subjects can be organized by categories
- Subjects can be readily identified by your choice of 48 colors and 48 icons
- Subjects and categories can be rearranged
- Notes can be sorted alphabetically or by date, size and subject
- Note date can be changed
- Three Themes to choose from
- Numerous Paper types
- Autosync feature to one of the supported services
[ “5968, 5934, 5826, 5824, 5259, 4636, 2878”]